1) In the October, 2014 issue of “O” The Oprah Magazine, Paulo Coelho says: If you think small, your world will be small. If you think big, your world will be big*.
The smallest things seem big to me. When I was a child, I believed that if everyone slowed down and saw things as I saw them, there would be peace. Which is why I wanted to be a filmmaker. I wanted to show my world to people and have them experience life in all its perfection and glory. If we took this world into our hearts, I believed, there would be no war.
2) A heart is like a flower… It can be very brave, but it can easily be hurt.
As a young adult, I began to believe this desire meant there was something wrong with me: that I was naive and idealistic, that I was not cut out for the “real world.”
I was brave for a while but, as I grew older, it seemed impossible that my vision of peace would be realized and I forgot my dream. My world grew small and I felt hurt.
3) There is a Zen proverb that says, basically, if you want something, step aside and let this thing come to you.
And yet, once my heart was broken, it could be re-opened to the beauty that had captivated me when I was young. When I reconnected with the natural world, I reconnected with the vision of peace I had once known. Inside me was an inner child who said: Hey, do you remember that dream?
4) A Personal Legend is the reason you are here…It is the only thing that gives you enthusiasm.
The only thing that gives me enthusiasm is the experience I have when I pay close attention to the world and my mind gives way to my heart. This experience is available to all people but it’s too often forgotten.
In Paulo Coelho’s terms, it is my Legend to live this principle: to demonstrate that peace is within reach at all times, within all people and between all divisions if we can slow down, listen and connect – with each other and the world around us.
5) If you are honest enough, God will guide you. Even if you take some wrong steps along the way, God will recognize that you have a pure heart and put you back on track.
I have taken many wrong steps along the way but I am still on the journey. My resolve is tested daily. I’m not the proof but I AM the experiment and I live for peace not only as if my life depends on it, but as if yours does.
*All italicized statements from the Paulo Coelho interview in the October, 2014 issue of “O” magazine.